The Gantt chart is a tool for project management and planning. Basically it helps to visualize the relationship between time and certain tasks within a project or why not, in some of our daily duties.
The first step in making a Gantt chart is to make a list of all the activities that a project may require. As a result, we may get too long a list. However, from this, we will define times for the completion of each task, priorities, and order of achievement. In addition, we will group the activities by specific items to simplify the graph as much as possible.
Below, I will show you how to make Gantt chart in Excel in less than 5 minutes.
To start, I just recommend you to have a table available to work, if not, you can download the one attached below.
- Once you have the table ready, the next thing will be to go to the graphics part in excel and select the stacked graph.
- When you have the graph, probably on the created table, the next thing to do is to right-click on some blank space in the new graph.
- The following box will appear. What you should do is click on the icon on the right side of the text entry.
- With the mouse, you must select the columns of PLAN START and PLAN DURATION in the data table. Click on the icon on the right side of the popup.
- Press the edit button in the popup window since we must select which categories we want to be in the graph.
- Now you must press the icon to select the categories you want to enter in the graph.
- As in step 4, you just have to drag with the mouse while left-clicking all the categories.
- Almost done. Press the OK icon on the popup.
- In the upper right, click on the addition icon.
- You can decide if you want the graphic to have a title or other information. After you check the options of your choice, right-click on the activities in the graph. Select the select data option.
- Check the categories option in reverse order. This facilitates the visualization of the data.
- Finally, you just have to press the left click on the planned start bars (blue bars). On the right side, press No fill and you would already have a fancy Gantt chart.
How to make Gantt chart in Excel?
Well, as you could see, it is really easy to use this type of tool, mainly for office applications, mainly Excel or Word.
Many people see it as a coordinate system with two fundamental axes. The tasks to be carried out from start to finish are located on the vertical axis. Conversely, the times are placed on the horizontal axis. Values on the horizontal axis can be days, months, semesters, or years.
A good example of using the Gantt chart can be managing budgets or controlling spending across different items. But, in addition to finance, there are many other applications of this type of graph.
Lastly, you should know that the importance of learning this type of tool is essential to manage in the labor market. However, many of these tools today are found in templates so you should only have well-defined data.
Here you can find some Gantt templates for your projects.